Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Horse and Soul, Lexington, Virginia

Quotes that I wrote down while at the Parelli Horse and Soul tour stop in Lexington, Virginia on February 11 & 12, 2012:

"Don't do to horses -- do with and for horses."

"When the horse changes, you change."

"It's ok for the horse to get bothered if you don't get bothered."  (which, I have to say, was the thing that most intrigued me my very first encounter with Parelli, with Richard Knapp and Vinnie, when Vinnie was a holy terror and Richard was calm in response in a situation where I would have been, "Oh no you don't!" -- and I'm still very interested in that.  I will say that the horse Linda was working with when she said this was scared, not dangerously aggressive, which was what Vinnie was.  Vinnie, I realize now, was a LBI -- "you are not the boss of me!" -- horse -- except as aggressive as an extrovert with it)

"The more you can go with your horse, and then come back to your idea, the better."

"People say, 'I don't have time to do this.'  What?  You have time to be in the hospital?"

"Introverts can be harder for humans to deal with because you have to do a whole lot of nothing.  One test is, are they interested in you?"

"Don't use aids to get horses to do something.  Use aids when they don't do what you want."

"Before you become a good rider, become a good passenger."  (and to this one I have to say, I don't think I've yet been just a passenger so I really look forward to doing more of this and learning the magic of it)

1 comment:

clairesgarden said...

that's great you got to go see them. I think they are in the uk next year so I very much want to go to that.